If you are injured in a car accident, a workplace accident, or a dog bite, your physical recovery can be extremely challenging as you undergo surgery, treatment, and rehabilitation. However, in many cases, the effects of your injuries are not limited to the physical. This is especially true of injuries that result in permanent scarring and disfigurement. If you have suffered one of these lasting injuries, it is important that you understand all possible means of pursuing compensation for the negative impact your injury has had on your life.
It is very important to photograph injuries and scars immediately and throughout the recovery. Selfies rarely do justice in documenting the injuries. Ask others to take photographs from different vantage points and with adequate lighting. Many people with disfiguring injuries also suffer from emotional reactions from the accident and the injuries, and the earlier they receive professional help, the better, both for their health and for documenting their claims.
Causes of Scarring and Disfigurement in a Personal Injury
Car crashes and other types of injuries can result in permanent disfigurement, including:
- Facial lacerations from broken glass and other sharp objects, from the road if you are ejected from a motor vehicle, or from a dog’s teeth or claws
- Broken bones due to blunt force trauma, especially in the skull or facial area
- Eye injuries, which may result in the loss of an eye or vision impairment
- Burn injuries, which can affect your face and other visible extremities
The short-term impact of these injuries may be immediately clear, but the full extent of their effects on your life may only reveal themselves in the months and years to come.
Recovering Damages For Scarring and Disfigurement
When another person or company is responsible for your injuries leading to scarring or disfigurement, you may be entitled to compensation for a variety of damages, including:
- Medical expenses for any treatment you receive for the injuries related to your scarring, which may include cosmetic surgeries to improve your appearance.
- Lost income, especially in cases in which your physical appearance is important to your career, and disfigurement affects your job opportunities.
- Pain and suffering, including depression or emotional trauma that may arise as you cope with the change to your appearance, as well as loss of consortium if your scarring and disfigurement negatively impacts your personal relationships.
Receiving full compensation for scarring and disfigurement damages often requires significant evidence to support your claim. This may include evidence demonstrating that you were injured because of another person’s negligence. It is important to hire an attorney as soon as possible who can help you collect and preserve photographs, video footage, police reports, and witness testimony. For pain and suffering damages, you will also likely need evidence of the full impact of the injuries on your life, which may include testimony from yourself, your close friends and family, and medical and mental health professionals.
Contact an Appleton Personal Injury Lawyer Today
At [[title]], we know how difficult it can be when an accident affects your appearance, and we will strive to do everything we can to help ease your suffering. Contact a compassionate Green Bay personal injury attorney for a free consultation at 920-739-7366.