Car accidents occur every day throughout the United States. These wrecks not only result in injuries to countless victims, they also claim many lives. In fact, according to the Wisconsin Department of Transportation, in 2013 there were 118, 254 total car crashes in Wisconsin alone. Of those accidents, 527 people were killed and 39, 872 people were injured. There are several outside factors—such as unruly weather conditions, unsafe road conditions, or drunk drivers—that may cause an accident. However, a car accident most often occurs due to the negligence or carelessness of a driver.
With the widespread availability of smart phones, Google Glasses, and other gadgets, it is no wonder that drivers are finding it harder to focus on the road. Thus, it is imperative that Wisconsin drivers avoid engaging in conduct that causes car accidents to help keep our Wisconsin roads safe.
Common Car Accident Causes
In addition to the occasional “freak” accident, the majority of car accidents occur because of driver misconduct. Below is a list of the most common causes of car accidents:
- Distracted Driving: Distractions such as texting, reading e-mails, or even eating while driving can momentarily divert a driver's attention from the road and can considerably reduce a driver's reaction time;
- Speeding: Operating a vehicle that weighs thousands of pounds at a fast speed can be dangerous. Speed limits on roads are in place for a reason and abiding by them can reduce the chance of losing control of the vehicle;
- Failure to Abide by Traffic Laws: Running red lights or not stopping at stop signs can pose a huge risk to other unsuspecting drivers on the road who adhere to these laws;
- Drunk Driving: Operating a vehicle after consuming too many alcoholic drinks can severely impair a driver. Drunk drivers unintentionally kill and injure innocent victims every day. Drivers who have had one too many drinks should call a sober driver, a cab, or refrain from driving in general; and
- Inexperienced Drivers: New drivers are more likely to get into a car accident. This is due to lack of experience when navigating the roads and are more likely to engage in reckless driving.
Car accidents can result in serious injuries or even death. If you or a loved one has been the victim of a car accident in Wisconsin caused by another driver's fault, seek medical attention immediately and then contact an experienced Green Bay car accident attorney or Appleton car accident attorney at [[title]] We will carefully review the facts surrounding your case and help you receive the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our offices are located throughout the Wisconsin area in Appleton, Green Bay, and Oshkosh.